Technical Support Engineer
Beaverton OR United States
Harmonic is the global leader in Digital Video Infrastructure Solutions. We are looking for talented individuals to join our Worldwide Technical Support organization. Our team is smart, hard-working, enthusiastic, passionate, and committed to provide world class technical support to our customers in over 100 countries around the world.
What You’ll Be Working On
Harmonic provides cutting edge digital video technology, from video broadcast servers to video streaming technology for mobile devices. Our technical support teams assist customers in configuring systems for numerous video formats, video compression, storage and playout options. You will be working with our sales, development and technical support teams to provide an exceptional experience for our customers, while learning and working with exciting state-of-the-art technology.
Harmonic Office, Beaverton, OR USA. As a TSE located in the Beaverton, OR office, you will be the in-region representative on a worldwide 24 x 7 Technical Assistance Center (TAC) ‘virtually co-located’ team supporting Harmonic’s Americas-based customers. Other members of the team are located around the world and will be working closely with and supporting your efforts.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: (Other duties may be assigned)
• Responsible for providing technical support to company field engineers and customers who are diagnosing, troubleshooting, repairing and debugging complex system problems involving Harmonic and associated equipment.
• Inquires may be answered on the phone, or Email. Report and track design, reliability and maintenance problems or bugs in a case management CRM.
• Participate in on-call after hours support rotation.
• Perform alpha and beta testing on new Harmonic products (both hardware and software) prior to customer deployment and document results for reporting to responsible engineering groups for action.
• Should be able to develop and document technical and operational notes related to process and procedural changes and effectively communicate with end-customers and internally to Engineering and other functional areas when resolving customer problems and escalating cases.
• Ability to work with customers under a variety of circumstances and pressures and understand and meet customer expectations is a fundamental requirement.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability needed in this position.
• Technical certificate or degree or equivalent with a minimum of 2(+) years of technical support experience in the high-tech industry, preferably within the Digital Video/Broadcast Industry or Storage Industry.
• Demonstrate an ability to take initiative in identifying and successfully resolving technical problems at customer sites via phone and email, with strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
• Demonstrate ability to communicate effectively in both written and oral forms with customers, other support and development engineers, and management.
• Networking knowledge/experience with Ethernet, routers, switches, hubs, TCP/IP, CIFS, and NFS.
• Knowledge of digital video and audio broadcast concepts, techniques, and products, experience with products that transport, encode, compress, and/or transcode audio and video media for the Broadcast Industry is a Plus.
• Working knowledge and/or experience with audio/video compression formats (DV, MPEG2, H.264, Windows, Media). Working knowledge/experience of disc storage, including; NAS, SAN, SCSI, Fiber Channel, RAID, RAID groups, and volumes is a Plus.